Hall Closet – Slow but Steady Wins the Race.

I promised you a finished picture of something this week, but not necessarily the nugget’s room. See what I did there? Imma show you the finally-finished-closet. YESSSSS.

Come to find out, adding an extra bit of girth to your frontal midsection inhibits your abilities to wiggle in and out of tight spaces. Ergo, working on the closet was a little harder than I figured it would be. Progress has been slow (if not nonexistent), but now! NOW I HAVE SOMETHING TO SHOW YOU! This was cause for much rejoicing and celebrating in our house. Here’s where we left off:Stencil Complete_HouseofGold

So remember when I made all these fancy drawings and had everything all figured out? Well, I was too quick to speak. Much too quick. We purchased 3/4″ sheets of mdf and had the nice man at Home Depot cut them to size for us. Which, with my brain preoccupied with other things, I gave him the wrong dimensions. I told him I wanted 2-18″ pieces, and 1-12″ piece (leftovers) cut out of one board. (My drawings called for 16″ wide boards.)

Hall Closet Design_HouseofGold

Once I got home, I realized my mistake, so J and I ripped them down to 16″ boards. And then I started putting some in the closet and getting started with the whole shebang. Actually, after I put one board in the closet (the top shelf, to be precise), I recognized that was all wrong. WAY too deep and just not okay. There was literally no room for me to even use the shelves. Or to hang up a coat. So I decided the shelves then needed to be 12″ deep. Which caused about a 2-week wait until it was light enough outside to see our fingers, we were home for long enough to rip the boards down (again), and it wasn’t raining.

Once that was done, though, PROGRESS! Here’s what I [we] did. (And I don’t have step-by-step pics, but I think it’s fairly straightforward. Maybe.)

First, I screwed 2″ wide boards as my supports for the top shelf. Taking very special care to measure where the vertical shelves would go, I made certain to leave some open space. Then the top shelf rested neatly on those boards.Shelf Support_HouseofGold

Then I took the two 7′ tall boards and slid them vertically in place, so I could then take exact measurements of how wide the second, shorter hanging section on the right would be. Got that? Once that was in place, I measured for a shelf on the very lower left hand side of the vertical supports (where boots might rest).

With those two shelves in place, I could then measure how wide the center shelves should be, which would [hopefully] make everything flush and tight with each other. Basically, the reason there are no progress pics is because everything wouldn’t fit together properly until the very end, when it was all in place. Also, despite the fact that I drew up my fancy sketchup model, we have plaster walls. Which makes nothing really square and/or exactly straight. Which means it’s best to wait and measure exact dimensions, rather than go off a drawing that assumes a bunch of things.

LIKE THIS.Closet Shelves_HouseofGoldOnce we got all the shelving set up, Dad came in and cut the baseboards to size, which also included the quarter round. And then he got crazy with the nail gun and secured them in to place. While that was happening, Mom and J and I cut the trim pieces for the front of the shelves. This trim is called “stop moulding” at the Depot, which means that one of the corners is ever-so-slightly-rounded… and that was just fine for our tastes. So anyway, we cut all those to size and nailed them in place.Adding Trim_HouseofGoldAnd then I caulked the entire thing. Two-point-five-bottles of caulk. I had to take a nap after that. #butforreal We let that stuff dry out for a day or so, and then Mom came back, lightly sanded the caulk spots down to make them smooth, and put a couple coats of paint on it. AND THEN?!?! Okay, wait. Remember what it looked like before:

Hall Closet Before_HouseofGold   AND NOW.Hall Closet Unloaded_HouseofGoldHall Closet Complete_HouseofGoldI didn’t keep track of the exact pricing of everything, but if we had to guess, it’d be around $100 in materials to create this. We used:

  • 2 sheets of 3/4″ mdf
  • baseboard
  • quarter round
  • 3-7′ sections of Stop moulding
  • Paint (leftover oops paint)
  • Stencil (given to us by the lovely people over at Royal Design Studio)
  • Screws/ Nails (had on hand)
  • 3 bottles of caulk

So, obvs, I could have gone out to buy new fabric bins that matched and don’t make your eyes dizzy (pattern on pattern… whoa.), but seriously. It’s a closet. These bins were free. I didn’t want to spend money. And therefore, they work juuuuuust fine.

I’d say Team Goldman/Warner was pretty successful in the closet-ing adventures.

Hall Closet CloseUp_HouseofGoldHooray!

Advertisements

5 thoughts on “Hall Closet – Slow but Steady Wins the Race.

  1. I am so impressed with y’all’s skills. First I can’t even use a hammer,screw driver,nor could I figure out the measurements. Every project y’all undertake looks wonderful. I can’t wait to see the house:-)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s