**If you follow on Instagram, you may have noticed that we got a deck installed. In a day. We have so much fun things to share with you about our new beast, but I kind of have to take all the photos first. So in the meantime, FEAST YOUR EYES ON THESE!**
So a few weeks ago, we were asking for help to decide on our next project. I started here, with building window shutters (but then they had to dry out before I could paint/ stain them). While those were drying out, I decided to go ahead and build our window boxes.
I grabbed a few fence pickets for this project, since they’re cheap (they run about $2/ picket) and we had them laying around. Literally. Laying. In the yard. For each box, I ended up using about 3 pickets, 2-“L” brackets, a nail gun, and some masonry screws. Easy-peasy! First, I cut all my pieces. I wanted the end caps to have a teeeensy bit of detail, so I used the top of the picket. Then I cut three other pieces (all the same size), and nailed them together. The wood can be pretty irregular, so I nailed the ends of the long boards together and then spaced out the middle by shoving a bunch of scraps in until the edges were all flush. Then I nailed the end pieces in place.
We hung one box up (before we ran out of masonry screws), and then I got a wild hair and decided to do the whole herringbone-pattern thing. (Reminiscent of the filing cabinet.)
After that sat for about a week, both J and I decided that we weren’t fans, so I removed all of those pieces. Although it was pretty cool up close, it looked unfinished around the edges, and just got to be too busy, with the surrounding bricks.
So I removed the one that was installed (a couple of screws on the bottom), and got to painting/staining. We ended up using Behr’s exterior wood stain stuffs, and only needed a sample pot to cover these two. While those were drying, J started the installation process on the remaining box. Each box took two “L” brackets (I think they were about $2/ each), and is held in place with Masonry Screws. I wanted the brackets to be hidden, although I’ve seen some pretty cool window boxes that have visible brackets. Also, we could easily remove/ replace the boxes if they start getting nasty (by removing the screws connecting the box to the brackets). After that, I drilled a couple of drainage holes in the bottom of each box, filled it with potting soil and some flowers, and VIOLA! Two happy windows!