There are plenty of times that being a homeowner is equally overwhelming and daunting. Especially a homeowner of a fixer-upper. So after we laid the tile floor, we took a break. And sat on the couch. For a really long time. We’ve still got to lay some transitions, but that will come in time, grasshopper. In the meantime, we’re gearing up for a project we’re really excited about. The Master Bath.
On move-in day, here’s what it looked like.
- No storage. A pedestal sink in a master bathroom? Where do I put my toothpaste? And more importantly, where does the toilet paper go? And everything else that bathrooms need? Seriously?
- It’s all white. Obvs, that just will not do.
- There’s this mirror. Which is fine, as far as mirrors go. But if you look closely, previous homeowner notched out the trim in order to hang the mirror. Even though there’s plenty of room to slide the mirror up. Notched out the trim. Right.
- So if you take the mirror off, there’s a secret compartment of nothingness. (?)
- Before our electrician-friend came, there were no outlets and no bathroom vent fan to speak of. Thankfully, that can be crossed off the list.
- Linoleum floor. It’s not a bad linoleum, as far as those go. And it’s fairly new… it’s just… well… someone failed to glue it down. Really. Someone just tossed it on the ground like an area rug. I don’t get that.
- The cave-shower. This shower has no light, so we rely on sunlight and/or light from the vanity to illuminate while you wash.
I think that’s about all the main issues. There will be more along the way, don’t worry. But we wanted to give you an idea of where we’re headed with the bathroom first. (All ideas are pinned here. Even the ones we scratched off the list.)
We’re planning on keeping the paneling, but painting it a bright white (sure wasn’t painted… just factory-primed), and making sure it’s properly stuck to the wall. We really like the idea of a dark color on top, like this:
Oh and for the mysterious hidden vanity hole? I’ve got something up my sleeve. It may or may not involve gold paint. Be warned.
What are we thinkin, guys? does this work? Not work? You love it? Hate it? Cool. Weigh in now. Before I make up my mind. 🙂