So this is where we left off with the Master Bedroom:Pretty pretty paint on the walls, and some artwork hung (on walls you don’t see). But we were still lacking in the headboard department. Dad and I crafted a headboard years ago (out of a sheet of plywood and some batting), and it’s been recovered with different fabrics, to match different bedding. Last off, it was burlap-ped, which was wonderful… just didn’t go with what we wanted in the bedroom now. I prefer to use what I have on hand and just adapt it to the current needs: sometimes, that means new fabric, sometimes that means spraypaint, and sometimes that means a little bit of bling. Either way, the headboard was getting re-used!
I have been scouring fabric stores for a while, hoping to find something that would suit both Jonathan and my respective styles. I second (and third) guess myself, thinking he wouldn’t like something, and nix it. So for this particular decision, I made him come with me to the fabric store. We saw this fabric (which I had seen before and talked myself out of), and finally pulled the trigger.Since fabric only comes in certain widths (this one in particular was 54″ wide), and our headboard is 67″ wide, I knew I’d have to seam two pieces together. I matched up the patterns and got my sewin on. Then I laid the entire piece out flat (upside-down), centered the plywood on it, stretched the fabric around to the back, and stapled away.Next on the list was the hanging part. This is where I start to get sad. This headboard is pretty big- 4’x5’7″… and it’s a solid sheet of mdf. Which is heavy. Also, I’m 5’3.75″. Ergo, the headboard is bigger than I. I measured, leveled, anchored, screwed-in, re-leveled and then used the rest of my muscles, utilized the whole “lifting with your legs” technique, and placed this bad boy in its semi-permanent home. Progress! ***updated pics!***
Linking up with Remodelaholic!