So I didn’t quite finish priming the interiors before move-in, as I had hoped. Let’s just say after one mega-session of painting Kilz, I had a bit too many fumes in my system to press on. Which, really, is fine. It’s giving me time to figure out how to organize the cabinets, and what I might need in them to make the spaces more effective. (These bad boys changed my life.) It also gave me plenty of time to realize that we are spice-hoarders. WHO NEEDS THREE BOTTLES OF GARLIC POWDER?!?
So in the break-time of non-painting, I started sanding down the doors. I removed all the hardware (but kept them in some cups, just in case I need them later), and then went to town. I quickly realized that 100-grit sandpaper will not do the job on this kind of nast. So on a Home Depot trip, I upgraded to a 60-grit. I figure after the first pass, I’ll fill in holes with some wood putty, and then sand with a finer grit.
After a couple hours of sanding, I was only about halfway through the doors/ drawers. Pretty discouraging, but also realistic. I sometimes think these types of projects could (and should) be complete in a couple days. I’m re-learning that if you want to do these projects correctly and not burn out, slow and steady is the key. Especially because a couple of the drawers or doors need some (minor) repair. Should be able to fix it up with some gorilla glue and clamps. (We’ll keep you posted.)